Wednesday, December 31, 2008

ARKANSAS CANS ADOPTIONS AND FOSTER CARE BY UNMARRIED COUPLES

Here is the start of an article that ran yesterday at FoxNews.com.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — More than a dozen families filed a lawsuit Tuesday challenging a new Arkansas law banning unmarried couples living together from becoming foster or adoptive parents.

If you would like to read the whole article, it can be found here:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474104,00.html

OK, So here is yet another state that doesn't want to do what is best for its children. With the lack of foster parents and willing adoptive couples, to ban anyone from doing either of those is the most assisnine thing I have ever heard of.

It does not matter in this case what your stand is on gay couples either. (I personally am a heterosexual person who strongly believes in live and let live) This is a ban that effects any couples living together......Homosexual, heterosexual, or I guess even asexual. I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people voting for the ban would not be the least bit interested in becoming foster parents or adopting special needs children.

Now Arkansas ranks in the bottom half in terms of state education, and that may help explain some of this, But how stupid do you have to be to not realize there is a problem getting foster parents and that some kids end up in group homes, which are far less desireable, just because foster parents aren't available.

If you haven't noticed, this really irks me. I am glad to see someone doing something about it, and I certainly hope that Pulaski County Circuit Judge Timothy Fox sees the light and rules this new law unconstitutional.....I hope in the process he forces all of the people who are arguing in favor of this to become foster parents......no, forget that. I think we need to have kids growing up in as tolerant a family as possible........OK, enough about that. I was going to have a "New Year" type post, but that will wait until tomorrow. In the meantime:

May everyone have a Happy, Healthy, and Blessed New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your blog. I am from Maine but now live in CA (quite different!). I am in the process of adopting my daughter from Foster Care. If you would like to read my blog feel free to email me at ana1968@sbcglobal.net.
    Happy New Year!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I agree whole heartedly!

    I also wanted to send you a quick thank you note for following my daughter's blog. She is an astounding young lady and I am watching a miracle before my very eyes. I am also grateful she brought me to your blog!

    ReplyDelete