Saturday, August 28, 2010

News to Report

*

Well, the first package went into the State Capitol last Wednesday. Now we have to wait for it to be processed and returned so that we can move onto the Probate Court and package number 2. I know things are going slow and it is very frustrating, but we will persevere.

Second, we went to "sneak peak" day at Kindergarden......All did not go well.......While (S) seemed very happy with her teacher (DW and I were happy with her too) and (S) seemed happy with the other children that were in her room although she was a little shy (that makes me laugh....get it Mel?) DW and I were happy too. (S) seemed happy with her classroom too......unfortunately, DW and I are not. Apparently the school had more classes then they had planned and there weren't enough classrooms for all of the classes. (S) has been palced in a classroom that must be half the size of all the other classrooms and there is absolutely no room to move. Imagine what it is going to be like with 16 students and a teacher!!!

There is no place for children to hang up their coats. There is no place for snow pants or boots, and in the little area the teacher has set aside for story reading she will be lucky to fit 4 children. I can't imagine what she will be doing with the rest of the 5 year olds. I also can't imagine what it will be like on a rainy day with 16 children crammed into this small space. They must be crazy!!!

So I called the superintendant's office and of course since school isn't in session (I guess she takes all Fridays off) she wasn't in her office. I left a message on her machine telling her that the classroom space was unacceptable and that I expect a call from her on Monday morning to find out how she is going to remedy this problem. While I really only care about (S), I hope her solution isn't to just move (S) into another classroom. That won't do any good for all the other children assigned to the closet.

If they need another calssroom, then they need to rent a portable classroom so that children can have the adequate space they need. While I am thinking this is going to be one of many encounters with an apparently incompetant school system.....I am hoping that it will be the last....we shall see, and I will be sure to let you all know.

(By the way, I did check with the state and while they have some regulations regarding class size in terms of teacher/student ratios, there are no regulations regarding square footage....just guidelines.....The guidelines now are 800 sq feet for a classroom....This room is lucky to have 1/2 that.....it is really a shame)

Anyway, today is a "home day" so I am off to play with (S) and have a good time for her last weekend before the "big girl" starts Kindergarden!!!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment