Saturday, April 11, 2009

Too Old for Foster Care, and Facing the Recession

That is the headline from an article in the New York Times......the link is below

Think about it.......Just turning 19 and no longer able to stay in foster care and facing today's economic times. I can't imagine being in that situation. It has got to be difficult enough during good times. Every time I think about how many times I called my parents for help after I moved out of the house, I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had no one to call. When I think about how often my children call me for advice, assistance, or a few dollars, I can't imagine what it would be like for them without family around to help. I just hope that (S) and all of her brothers are able to get adopted after parental rights are terminated. I worry more about the older boys then I do about (S) because we are aware of a few people that have already shown an interest in adopting her. When you look at that face on the last post, you can't help but know she will be ok. But all of her brothers is another question. As a society, we have to do a better job with our children.


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/nyregion/08foster.html

No comments:

Post a Comment