Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's Been A While Again

*
Only this time has been different. As some readers know, I had to make a trip to Florida in January as we were told that my father had had some kind of an event and was very close to death. As it turned out, he was able to pull through and after spending about a week there with my family, my father was back in a rehab and appeared to be progressing along to recovery and hopefully a return home.

Unfortunately, that was not in the cards. They had to bring him back to the hospital on February 17th. I got a call on February 2oth that they were putting him into a hospice at the hospital as there wasn't much more they could do, and he didn't have much time left.

My sister and I both flew to Florida and we were able to spend a couple of days with my dad while he was in hospice and was able to respond and communicate with us. Unfortunately, that was all the time we had, but I do feel as though we made the most of it.

Thursday February 24th, my dad was totally unresponsive, although they told us that he could probably here us. His eye (one was paralyzed shut) remained open the whole day. I don't remember the exact time, but I think my sister and I left there about 10:00pm. A few hours later, while at my mother's house, we got the phone call that my father had passed at 12:45am on Friday February 25th.

I have a number of stories to tell about that week and the time that has passed since then. It has certainly had an affect on Shyanne, but I have to tell you she was a very good girl at the funeral service and at the cemetary.

It was definitely a time to be proud. I was proud of my father's courage. I was proud of Shyanne and the way she acted and responded to the death of her papa. I was proud of my three older children as well. My son even said a few words at the funeral for his papa and he did a great job. More will follow on that with my next post, but in the meantime, I am just going to relax and think about my dad for a few days, and just in case he is following this blog......



I love you dad, and already miss you more than you can ever imagine.
*

1 comment:

  1. I've been there. God's peace be with you, and may you be washed over and over with the warmth of memories accumulated of the years to cherish and hold [and share] for years to come. Take the time you need, then take a little more.
    Gail Underwood Parker
    www.upbeatsanddownbeats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete